Thursday 7 January 2010

My Love Lies Bleeding (AKA Hearts at Stake) by Alyxandra Harvey

From Amazon: The Drake's are rather different to your usual neighbours. They are vampires and some of the members of the family date back to the twelfth century. One of the children, Solange, is the only born female vampire known and, as such, she poses a direct threat to the vampire queen. Her best friend Lucy is human, and when Solange is kidnapped Lucy and Solange's brother, Nicholas, set out to save her. Lucy soon discovers that she would like to be more than just friends with Nicholas. But how does one go about dating a vampire? Meanwhile, Solange finds an unlikely ally in Kieran, a vampire slayer on the hunt for his father's killer.

I had no expectations for this novel whatsoever and I will admit I bought it on a whim. I am so glad I did. It was so much fun that I read it in one sitting. I loved the dual narrative and as I’ve said in previous reviews this has fast become one of my favourite styles of writing. Here it is done really well as Lucy and Solange feel like distinct characters and it would be obvious who is narrating even if it was not indicated at the beginning of each chapter. Lucy is an awesome character – so much wit and sass – and I loved her interactions with the Drake family. Solange is also very likable as someone stuck in the middle of an ancient prophecy that she doesn’t want. And Nicholas is HOT! For me the romantic parts of the story are the books strength, although the action was great too.

I’ve read some negative reviews for this – some have sited not enough depth or a contrived plot – but if this is the case it didn’t bother me at all. My only quibble would be the ending felt too abrupt. I would have like a bit more closure but I expect this is due to there being a sequel later in the year.

As you’ve probably guessed I really enjoyed this and would recommend it to readers who fancy a quick read . I would describe it as a chick-lit paranormal romance that kicks some butt! I loved the world and characters and look forward to spending more time with the Drakes in future instalments. Especially if there is more Nicholas:)








8 comments:

prophecygirl said...

Nicholas, yes... ooh la la. He's my favourite Drake!

Luisa at Chicklish said...

It's great to hear your thoughts on this - I've read such mixed reviews. Judging by what you said, I think I'd like it! Thanks for the great review!

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

This is next on my list to read so I'm glad that you enjoyed it. And I'm looking forward to meeting Nicholas!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a fab fun read with vampires thrown into the mix. I'm sold. There is only one thing that put my off - the name Solange! It sounds like a deflated cake!

Test said...

Great review! Oh, and I toatally agree what you said about Nicolas, because he definitely was hot. lol.

Anonymous said...

I've had this lying around for some time. Maybe I should really start reading it.

Jo said...

Awesome review, Sammee! I really liked this too! Just so good!

The Amazon summary is wrong though, I used the same one. It refers to the family as the Blake's rather than the Drake's. You may want to fix, but it's no biggie. I'll like to your review from my own.

I Want To Read That said...

Thanks Jo - I hadn't noticed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...