Thursday 2 September 2010

Cherry Crush (Chocolate Box Girls) by Cathy Cassidy

For review: Puffin. Published 2 September 2010
From Amazon: Cherry Costello’s life is about to change forever. She and Dad are moving to Somerset where a new mum and a bunch of brand-new sisters await. And on Cherry’s first day there she meets Shay Fletcher; with suntanned skin and sea-green eyes he’s the kind of boy who should carry a government health warning. But Shay already has a girlfriend, Cherry’s new stepsister, Honey. Cherry knows her friendship with Shay is dangerous – it could destroy everything. But that doesn’t mean she’s going to stay away from him...

Having previously read Lucky Star by Cathy Cassidy and really enjoyed it I jumped at the chance to review this one. I am so glad I did because I really, really loved it

Taking a fairly simple premise Cathy Cassidy injects it with magic. Full of wit and charm it's a book that I know would have been one of my absolute favourites had I read it as a teen. Even now, many moons away from being a teenager, I read it in one sitting - just completely captured by all the wonderful characters.

I adored Cherry. She was kind and considerate - especially towards her dad. She was being asked to make big changes in her life but I don't remember her complaining. Yes, she did have a tendency to tell some white lies and be rather economical with the truth but she didn't do any of it to be mean - it was done more as a way to fit in and be liked. I loved all the other characters too - even Honey - who I thought was an interesting character and am really looking forward to her story. All the characters were completely fleshed out - even the parents who can sometimes be overlooked.

My favourite aspect of the story though was Cherry and Shay's friendship. It was extremely sweet and one that felt based on a true connection. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens between them in future installments. I'm so glad this is going to be a series of five books. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you really did enjoy this one, didn't you?! Sounds like a great story of friendship.

Vicki said...

I', reading this one now and loving it...and I have to say it is the most gorgeous looking book I ever saw!

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I really have to give this and Cathy Cassidy a chance by the sound of this review!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds SO cute. I love the cover and names.

Lauren said...

Yay! Glad you liked it too. I have to agree about Honey - she does some awful things but I like that she's not all bad and Cherry's not all good. Awesome review!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...