Tuesday 1 June 2010

This Is Me From Now On by Barbara Dee

For review: Barbara Dee
From Amazon: Sometimes your life just needs a little jolt.
This is what Evie's new friend Francesca tells her, and soon enough, Evie's life has had something more like an earthquake. Francesca thinks life is dull unless you go after everything you want and say everything on your mind all the time--and sometimes that includes giving other people a little behind the scenes help to give them what she thinks they want.
Evie can't always tell if she's horrified or fascinated by everything Francesca convinces her to do, but ultimately, she comes to see friendship--and life--in a whole new light.


I loved this! It is a really sweet and fun read that tweens and teens would really enjoy.

Barbara Dee is a great writer and I found myself easily immersed in the story. Evie and Francesca are wonderful characters - I loved how real they felt. Evie comes across as really sweet and kind, very witty with her observations. I enjoyed her journey - about friendships and discovering who you are and who you want to be. I absolutely adored Francesca. I loved her individuality and although she is slightly ...er...economical with the truth I do think she has people's best interests at heart. I thought she was really good for Evie, bringing her out of her shell and really seeing her for who she is rather than who she wanted her to be, and I thought Evie was good for Francesca too. She is a stable influence in her life that could have otherwise be lacking.

The plot is simple but really enjoyable. It's more about the characters and how they grow, and about the friendships you have when you are still discovering who you are. It brought back memories of my friendships at that age, and of the boys I really liked . I'd loved to catch up with Evie and Francesca at a later date and see how they are getting on, but in the meantime I plan to track down some more of Barbara Dee's work!

5 comments:

Luisa at Chicklish said...

Oh, it sounds great! Thank you for the review. I like your new look, by the way!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds cute!

Thanks for stopping by (and giving me the thumbs up) on my I want to read that... post :)

Unknown said...

How cute is that cover?! This sounds fun.

prophecygirl said...

Great review - I loved this one! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks cute!!! I often find that the MIX novels are pretty good! Great review!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...