Thursday 29 October 2009

Troy High by Shana Norris

From Amazon: This title presents a contemporary retelling of the famous Troy myth, set in two rival high schools. Homer's "Iliad", the classic tale of love and revenge, is shrewdly retold for teens in "Troy High". Narrated by Cassie, a shy outsider who fears that an epic high school rivalry is about to go up in flames, the story follows the Trojans and Spartans as they declare war on the football field. After the beautiful Elena - who used to be the captain of the Spartan cheerleaders - transfers to Troy High and falls madly in love with Cassie's brother Perry, the Spartans declare that the annual homecoming game will never be forgotten. The Trojans and Spartans pull wicked pranks on each other as homecoming approaches. And the Spartans' wildcard football star, Ackley, promises to take down the Trojans' offensive line. But the stakes are raised when Cassie is forced to choose between the boy she loves (a Spartan) and loyalty to her family and school. "Troy High" will seduce readers with its incendiary cast, worthy of mythic proportion.

Having not read Homer’s ‘Iliad’ I’m afraid my knowledge of the story of Troy is limited to the film starring Brad Pitt! Therefore I’m not going to be an expert on how good a retelling it is. What I can tell you though, is that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I connected to Cassie straight away and liked seeing the cast of characters through her eyes. The friendship and feelings she had for Greg felt real - meaning I was really rooting for them. I also really enjoyed her budding friendship with Elena and watching her relationship with her brothers change because of all the rivalry. I found the whole rivalry between the schools really interesting to read – and although there was some fun in the pranks to begin with it was interesting to see how easy it is for them to turn into something more sinister.

Overall I found it really engaging. It felt really fresh – different from anything I’ve read recently and I found myself staying awake until one o'clock in the morning to finish it!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Really? I have no idea why but I thought this would be dreadful. Maybe I have a thing against cheerleaders... Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

prophecygirl said...

I loved this one! Great review - I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

So Many Books, So Little Time said...

I really want to read this. Though I don't know much about the story either!

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love books that rob me of my sleep. Weird thing to say but totally true ;)

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good actually. *Sigh* if only I were rich. I'd buy hundreds of books at a time haha. ;D

Nina said...

Love the cover and it sounds so gooooood.. :)
Do want to read this asap.

Luisa at Chicklish said...

I really think I'd enjoy this! Great review - thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...